Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Labor Day & Our Family Tree

Labor Day is in less than a week which means cook-outs, parades, pool parties, political speeches, a longer work weekend, shopping sales, beginning of football season and a new school year. In a lot of minds, it marks the end of summer and the beginning of fall. By definition, Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September, that celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers.

Typically in our family, we celebrate by going to the grandparents pool and cooking out. We suck this day for every minute of summer we can get! But, I add a twist! :) Since it's called Labor Day, we talk about our family tree! We discuss all our family members who have "labored" before us and what their jobs were. Then we discuss those who "labored" to birth us. We talk about our ancestors and how amazing it is that all of these people who went before us, carved a beautiful path for us to enjoy life as we enjoy it today.

Before I share our day with you, I'd like to share some subway art I made. I like to frame it and display it to remind us why we get this glorious day together!




I still consider Labor Day and "American" holiday in the sense that I decorate with patriotic colors.  So, yes, we proudly wear our red, white and blue!

We enjoy our last pool day of the summer! :) 

I bake these "family tree" cookies to start the conversation of our heritage.  I manage the family tree in our family and have over 3,000 people in my database...so you can imagine how much my geek comes out of me over this! LOL! 

The hubby grills out with a beer in hand, of course! 

One of my favorite books is 'The Birth Order Book' by Dr. Kevin Leman.  It does an amazing job explaining how birth order affects us.  I am a middle born but a functioning first born married to a first born son!  After reading that book, that last sentence holds a TON of meaning.  Anyway, his son wrote children's book which I think are adorable!  They are especially helpful to my middleborn daughter who tends to think that she's not special because she's not the first baby or the last.  LOVE these books!

Sometimes we even have time to make a family tree.  I have a leaf hold punch that I use to make all the leaves.  Then I cut out a random tree.  We write theirs names on the leaves and talk about each person.

And that's all folks!
Happy Labor Day to you all...but mostly moms, find some time for you to "not labor" today! :)  Who am I kidding?


No comments: