Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

My sister, Penny's, 40th Birthday

 I have a beautiful older sister named Penny.  She was born with Down Syndrome and has always held a sacred place in my heart.  When I found out that my first daughter had Downs, I was at peace.  I knew that they were the sweetest, most special people in the world and I was so happy to be a mother to a child with this predisposition.  Unfortunately my child passed away at birth.  But thank goodness I still have Penny to bring a special shade of sunshine into my life.

She is about to turn 40 in September but I knew I wouldn't be able to go to her 40th since I live 9 hours away.  So when I visited this summer, my mom, sisters and I threw her an early birthday party!  It was cheap, easy and quick...but it was special, very special!  

I don't believe that all parties have to cost a fortune and be stressed over.  I am a big fan of The Reluctant Entertainer who's basic philosophy is that it's more important to have community and hospitality than to have everything look perfect.  If you ever get a chance to read her book, do it...she's the reason I host Wine Down Friday at my home every Friday! :)

Here's my awesome sister Penny!

My mother lives in the country.  There's a chicken house across the street and cornfield in her backyard...and it's peaceful bliss!  She has this great back porch so I spruced it up and added a little decor.  Penny's favorite colors are pink and purple...so we ran with it.

I made the cake.  I baked all the layers/tiers a week before at my house using my equipment.  Then I iced between the layers and wrapped in plastic wrap and froze it.  It made traveling so much easier.  I just stuck it in a cooler and transported it to her freezer until the day before.  Then I let it thaw and iced it with store bought BetterCream icing from the bakery...it's like a thick whipped cream and glorious!  It was a very hot day though, so the cake started to melt, but at that point you just gotta throw your hands up and say 
"it is what it is".

Who doesn't like a fun cup?  A birthday deserves one for sure!  Penny is a big kid so she loved the noisy party favors and her fun cup!

Now I want you to meet someone else super special.  This is Brian, Penny's boyfriend of 28 years.  He calls her every night at 7 pm and they talk "at each other" on the phone.  He's only ever kissed her once. :)  But they work together daily and love each other dearly.

Here's another couple Penny's friends with.  They have been together for 4 years and he can drive!  She is freakin' hilarious and he's super smart!

She loves all this attention.

And present time!  This lava lamp was her very favorite!

My very favorite time is the dancing!  Penny's friends have no inhibitions or fear of embarrassment...so we rocked it out!  So much fun to dance with people who dance crazy like me! LOL!  We had a blast! 

Here's a video I made that I showed at her party.  It's a 15 min. video of her precious life!  
Thanks for watching!  Happy 40th Birthday Penny Lynn!




No comments: