Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Grieving the Halloween Costumes

I know that Halloween is 8 weeks away, but if you know me, I like to prepare and plan.  So, yesterday I was talking to my kids about what they wanted to be this year and it broke my heart.  We always pick a theme for our family to dress for Halloween.  I know this might seem like I'm preventing them from picking what they want, but seriously, we have 2 huge boxes of costumes that I buy and they can dress up however they want everyday.  So, what did they pick?  VAMPIRES AND ZOMBIES! 
I blame Hotel Transylvania...

It's a very cute movie with a great story...but now my kids want to be Vampires.  One wants to be a vampire zombie ninja, another a vampire princess, another a vampire zombie and then another Dracula.  So we did decide on a theme...it just wasn't what I was hoping for...the Wizard of Oz!  
Seriously, this could have been us :(

  Ok, I love vampires, I loved Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, Twilight, True Blood, ect.  However, I don't want my kids to dress up as gothic, scary dead people.  They are still so young.  So, in grieving the lost of our past cute and colorful themes, I want to take a trip down memory lane.

Our first year with Sophia and she was the cutest lady bug ever!


Then we went for a fun "sports" theme when Bella arrived.  Yeah, they look thrilled :)

Then the boys arrived and we were fairies and frogs!  Freakin' adorable!

Yes, I spray painted our hair gold :)

And daddy doesn't like to dress up so he always gets a shirt that "says" what he is in the theme :)

Of course we had to do superheroes one year :)

Super DAD!

Super MOM!

Pirates was one of my favorites...I mean, how cute are these kids! 

Daddy even got in the spirit but only because we had to go to a work, Halloween party :)

But this one, by far, is my favorite one!  I mean, how cute are they?  Sophia had a broken arm that year and she said she was dressed up as a "broken" crayon :)

Last year we watched the movie, "We bought a ZOO" and they all picked their favorite animal and we went for it!  I even did a crazy face paint job...which was exhausting by the way! LOL!

I made a shirt that said the movie title and put their names on it...and a stun gun for that little guy who kept me running the whole night!  Yeah, that was a true to life Halloween costume...I do have a ZOO!





So, I'm sure I'll find a cute way to make my little animals look like vampire zombies, but it does make me a little sad to see them growing up so fast and making their own decisions.  It's a new chapter in our lives and I'll embrace it...just give me time to grieve. :(











No comments: