Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

FLAG DAY

Flag day is tomorrow, an although it's not one of the Patriotic holidays we go all out for, it's still one of my favorites!  When I think about summer, I think about the colors, RED, WHITE and BLUE!  Mostly because the summer is full of the Patriotic holidays, starting with Memorial Day (May), then Flag Day (June), 4th of July and ending with Labor Day (Sept.).  And let's not forget about President's Day in Feb. and Veteran's Day in Nov.  

When we planted flowers in our backyard, I chose all red/white/blue flowers simply because those are the colors of summer for me! :)  All my summer dishware are in those colors too, so needless to day, I love these summer holidays!

Flag Day makes me so proud!  Proud to be an American, proud to have the freedoms we have, proud to raise my children here knowing that they can grow up to be anything they want to be.  Saying the Pledge of Allegiance or singing the National Anthem always chokes me up.  As a student of history and a former missionary who traveled to other countries, I am always happy to plant my toes in American soil.  I do have a heart for the world, but Americans are my family, my mafia, my people.  America is in my blood and I am overwhelmed with emotions about her!  So when I get a chance to acknowledge this symbol of my freedom, my family, my pride, I take it!

Historically, Flag Day commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States in 1777 by resolution of the Second Continental Congress. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation that officially established June 14 as Flag Day; in August 1949, National Flag Day was established by an Act of Congress. The week of June 14 is designated as "National Flag Week." During National Flag Week, the president will issue a proclamation urging U.S. citizens to fly the American flag for the duration of that week. The flag should also be displayed on all government buildings. Some organizations hold parades and events in celebration of America's national flag and everything it represents. The Betsy Ross House has long been the site of Philadelphia's observance of Flag Day.

So, what do we do to celebrate this day?  Well here we go....

I love celebrating with food...and especially really easy food!  This is our typical flag day breakfast.  Easy Peasy and yet a fun tradition!

And, if you haven't noticed yet, I am addicted to matching clothes for my kids!  #1 because I think it's so stinking cute.  #2 it's way easier picking out all their clothes if I only have to choose 2 outfits.  #3 when we do go out in public to parades or events, it's WAY easier to keep track of all these rug rats! :)

And clothes that coordinate with holidays is no exception.  Every year I always buy  my kids a set of patriotic swim suits, simply because there are so many opportunities to wear them! :)

I also have a dozen of these American Flags that I always stick in the ground along my front walkway.  It's just the easiest decoration to place and take away! :)  Again with the matching clothes!

Then there's always a fun dessert!  Here is the easiest one I've made lately.  Just buy the red chocolate melting chips from your cake decorating section at Wal-Mart.  Melt, dip pretzel rod and sprinkle on some festive sprinkles.  Lay on wax paper and put in fridge to harden.  Easy peasy! :) 

Hope you have a fabulous Flag Day tomorrow and wave it proud!

Check out my Flag Day Board on Pinterest for even more Flag Day ideas!





No comments: